International Woman´s Day
Bolivians really know how to celebrate. I’m reminded of this at least once or twice a week. Yesterday was no different.
Now, you might have read in a previous entry about my experience during “Con Madres”…. Potosí´s Woman´s Day. Regardless of the celebrating on this day, it didn´t stop more celebrations less that a month later…
Over the last few years, I have received different emails saying "Happy International Women's Day", but never really thought much of it. I now know that it really is true... it is our day AND it's international. I know that Bolivians are prone to celebrate for whatever reason, however...
The guys in our office bought us women goodies in the morning. And, throughout the day, I had various people wish me well and happiness. I had tea out and paid for by my boss because of it.
Then, after my evening class, Nick and I headed to this restaurant that we've been going to lately. The name of the restaurant translates from Quechwa to mean "5 woman". Funny enough, it was 5 woman who opened it up a few years ago. There are only 2 left running the place, but it's still going strong.
When we got there, the doors were all shut with a sign on the door saying "we're taking the night off in honor of women all over the world" (or something like that), but we could hear music inside. So, instead of walking away, we decided to knock on the door (a few times) until someone opened it up. We were invited in...
There were 6 woman inside: the 2 remaining owners and some of their friends (ranging from a politician, a lawyer, a prof at the university, etc.), sitting around, having some drinks and chatting. We joined them for the next couple hours until they decided to move locations.
We then went to a local “pub”. As soon as we sat down, we were all given flowers. We ordered some food and drinks and chatted some more. Around midnight, the owner came out of the back, and bought us all a round of drinks in honour of the day.
Now, THAT'S what I call celebrating International Woman's Day!!!
Now, you might have read in a previous entry about my experience during “Con Madres”…. Potosí´s Woman´s Day. Regardless of the celebrating on this day, it didn´t stop more celebrations less that a month later…
Over the last few years, I have received different emails saying "Happy International Women's Day", but never really thought much of it. I now know that it really is true... it is our day AND it's international. I know that Bolivians are prone to celebrate for whatever reason, however...
The guys in our office bought us women goodies in the morning. And, throughout the day, I had various people wish me well and happiness. I had tea out and paid for by my boss because of it.
Then, after my evening class, Nick and I headed to this restaurant that we've been going to lately. The name of the restaurant translates from Quechwa to mean "5 woman". Funny enough, it was 5 woman who opened it up a few years ago. There are only 2 left running the place, but it's still going strong.
When we got there, the doors were all shut with a sign on the door saying "we're taking the night off in honor of women all over the world" (or something like that), but we could hear music inside. So, instead of walking away, we decided to knock on the door (a few times) until someone opened it up. We were invited in...
There were 6 woman inside: the 2 remaining owners and some of their friends (ranging from a politician, a lawyer, a prof at the university, etc.), sitting around, having some drinks and chatting. We joined them for the next couple hours until they decided to move locations.
Now, THAT'S what I call celebrating International Woman's Day!!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home