Goodbye Potosí...
A few days before I left Potosí, I went out to Sucre to pick up Aaron from the airport (a few hours from Potosí). I brought him back to Potosi (from Calgary at 1050m to Potosí at 4100m in one day!) and on my rounds around the city saying goodbye to the people I met.
Although, we didn´t go far to say goodbye to the first people! I knew a guy in Sucre and promised to come out and check out his printing shop that he opened there (I´m not sure how old the printing press was, but it was REALLY neat to see!!!).
Then, that night in Potosí, we had a small party at my apartment. I was able to say goodbye to a few people like Harry, a local guy who was always up to go for a few drinks, the people I worked with and a few other people from around town.
The next day, I went to the post office to have my mail forwarded to La Paz, and it turned into a round of goodbyes with all the ladies there. Some of them promised to send me letters in Canada (how ironic if their letters get to Canada when half the ones that I mailed from Bolivia didn´t!).
Then off to the market. It was so hard to say goodbye to my market mom... everytime I bought anything from her stand, she would quiz me on how I was going to cook whatever I bought, offering me tips, etc. And, I always got a few candies snuck into my hand with my change. I gave her some Canadian maple candies to say goodbye (thought it was fitting!), so she loaded me down with her biggest chocolate bar in return!!! I plan on keeping in touch with her through letters...
PIC: Saying goodbye to Gabe... my market mom (infront of her stand)
We then went to dinner at a local restaurant where I got to know the owners, to say goodbye to them.
My last day in Potosi I spent with my "adoptive" Bolivian family... my good friends Helen and Evelin, and their 8 brothers at their home. I never got a picture of them all together, but here´s a picture of a toast to my safe and quick return to Potosí:
And finally, with all the goodbyes and best wishes, I even had a send off crew at the bus!! How fun was that to have people waving outside the bus yelling after it as we drove away (okay... AND how sad....)
From left to right: Helen, Evelin, me, Marcelo, mom
Once in La Paz, of course a few of the volunteers there and I had to have some fun goodbye pictures. Here´s one of me with Linea (from Sweden) and Patrick (from New Brunswick - Ottawa)....
So, I´m not sure when I will be back in Potosí. But, I have never been able to predict my life too far in advance, so you NEVER know what the future has in store.
For now, I have around 2 months to travel and see a bit more of Bolivia and get to know some of the areas of Peru. I´m looking forward to what´s around the next bend...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home