Sandra's Adventures

As I continue to determine who I am and where I want to go next, I've met some great people, seen and experienced some amazing adventures, learned about amazing ways of life and fuelled my desire to continue exploring and learning! Here's a taste...

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Over a week in the mountains....

Well, we made it. We had a day for a "warm up hike" out of a town called Chiquian and then 8 days in "back country" of the Peruvian Andes in the Cordillera Huayhuash, trekking 120km(ish). Our average camping elevation was around 4200m and trekking aroud 4500m. 7 high passes later, we were ruling the Andes....

We had a bit of all weather fronts. But, we still lucked out with amazing views every day.... Here´s day 3:



The highest pass of 5000m on Day 5:


We had some really high rivers to cross because of the extra rain / hail / snow fall of the end of the rainy season. I knew if I missed or slipped off of my rocks, I´d be wait deep in water to the right, and swept down the river and over my head to the left!!....

This river, I had to cross my fingers and make a flying leap!!!...


Other "problems" from the weather fronts included our tent collapsing on us at 1:30am due to the weight of the snow. I somehow found it really funny and enjoyed pushing all the snow off the tent while singing Christmas carols... hoping to get the tent into a somewhat standing condition. This is how far I got:
But, the snow afforded some beautiful views the next morning!!!

For more photos from the trip, I´ve uploaded a slew to the end of my Photos Folder from the trip.

We´re off now for 8 days in the "other" direction: The Amazon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home