Yes.... I'm back in Canada! :-)
Okay, okay. I KNOW! It's been over 2 months and NOTHING! Why?
TOO BUSY!
I know. I know. Everyone is in that boat. And most of the time that I was "too busy" I wasn't even working! ha ha. So, forget the dialog, here's a picture show of the last month travelling through Bolivia / Peru:
After our trek through the high mountains in Northern Peru, we headed looooow... to the amazon!
Enroute, we went mountain biking...

... passing by villages on the way down into the amazon, where they were drying coca leaves on the side of the street...

... and getting to sample freshly baked bread (uummm... jungle bread...)

There was also a fun white water rafting section to get to the main river that we would then be on for the next 7 days going through the amazon jungle.
During these days, we saw lots of monkeys:

Oops. REALLY... that's not the monkey picture! ;) Even in the jungle I found "extra adventure" zip-lining around the jungle canopy. There were really lots of monkeys. From red howler monkeys to spider monkeys, my favorite were the squirrel monkeys who would fling themselves from branch to branch of trees hanging over the river or lake that we were on. Below them in the water would ALWAYS be a caiman (like a crocodile), waiting for one of them to screw up!
We didn't see any monkeys fall prey, but we did see a couple caimans fight it out for a kill (think it was a deer) as well as a pack of giant fresh water otters take on a caiman. We were lucky enough to spot a jaguar. Our guide then promptly jumped out of the boat, motioning for us to the same and sneak in for a closer look. Based on my experience watching lions in Africa, I didn't stray TOO far from the boat! :)
Smaller adrenaline rushes included friendly tarantulas:

It was also great to be on the rivers of the amazon to see amazing sunsets and sunrises...

Or just chillin' enjoying the breaze (keeping both the heat and the BUGS at manageable levels!)

After the amazon, with a few days to spare before heading back into the mountains, we headed over to the floating islands on the Peru side of Lake Titikaka. Although I wasn't all that impressed with the floating islands since it seemed to be more a tourist attraction rather people living their ordinary lives, I was really glad I went to the other islands near by. We stayed with a local family over night, went dancing, tried out the tradition clothes, etc.
From there, we trouped back to Cusco and headed out on the famous 4-day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. Having been on a lot of high altitude trekking, I didn't find the trek too difficult... because of the high altitude passes or the monstruous steps!...

It was incredible to think of all the people that have travelled over that same pass over the centuries, not to mention the work that went into it. There were larger boulders with steps cut out...

... even tunnels!

On the morning of the 4th day, we lucked out and had a beautiful clear day. We were fortunately to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu from the sungate...

... then to hike down closer to explore the ruins up close....

... before heading to the top of a mountain on the opposite side of Machu Picchu to get a view down on it from the other side....

That same night after completing the Inca Trail and exploring Machu Picchu, we were off on an overnight bus back to Bolivia. It felt SO GOOD to be back in Bolivia!!! Peru was good, but I definitely have a connection in Bolivia!
We stopped off on Isla del Sol, an island on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca. This was the view from my bed!...

The next morning, I was up in time to see the sun rise over the Bolivian Andes... of which one mountain I would then test myself on during a ascent attempt a couple days later...

... I had been wanting to try another high altitude mountain attempt and the mountain "Huayna Potosi", sitting at 6088m in elevation (just shy of 20,000ft at 19,975ft) had been an idea in the back of my head since arriving in Bolivia last October.
Huayna Potosi:

Here I am, suited up on day 1....

... ready to head out to a nearby glacier to try out some of my ice climbing techniques. Going up....

...And coming down...

After getting to our base camp, I had some soup and tucked in for a couple hour nap....

At midnight, I was up, getting suited up in my ice boots, crampons, harness, etc. 7 hours later through the snow and up a few ice walls, the last one of which was over 200m long right to the summit. I MADE IT!!!! :)

The views were incredible. Both at the summit watching the sun rise over the clouds below....

... and also on the way down...

And with that, (and of course one more day of going to the markets), I ate my final favorite Bolivian food and got on a plane for home.
Now... you might have noticed that in the entire time I was away, I never made it to anywhere that would be concidered by most as required in a vacation: a "relaxing day on the beach". Not to worry... with an 8 hour layover in Miami on the way home, I did just that and headed to the beach. Okay... I wouldn't say that I didn't try to have a little fun there by body surfin' the awesome rollers coming on shore!!!....

Since being home, I have since....
So, more posts will be coming. I'll try to get a few more pics up there... And, I'm going to put together a slide show, so come on over if you want to see it! :)
TOO BUSY!
I know. I know. Everyone is in that boat. And most of the time that I was "too busy" I wasn't even working! ha ha. So, forget the dialog, here's a picture show of the last month travelling through Bolivia / Peru:
After our trek through the high mountains in Northern Peru, we headed looooow... to the amazon!
Enroute, we went mountain biking...
... passing by villages on the way down into the amazon, where they were drying coca leaves on the side of the street...
... and getting to sample freshly baked bread (uummm... jungle bread...)
There was also a fun white water rafting section to get to the main river that we would then be on for the next 7 days going through the amazon jungle.
During these days, we saw lots of monkeys:
Oops. REALLY... that's not the monkey picture! ;) Even in the jungle I found "extra adventure" zip-lining around the jungle canopy. There were really lots of monkeys. From red howler monkeys to spider monkeys, my favorite were the squirrel monkeys who would fling themselves from branch to branch of trees hanging over the river or lake that we were on. Below them in the water would ALWAYS be a caiman (like a crocodile), waiting for one of them to screw up!
We didn't see any monkeys fall prey, but we did see a couple caimans fight it out for a kill (think it was a deer) as well as a pack of giant fresh water otters take on a caiman. We were lucky enough to spot a jaguar. Our guide then promptly jumped out of the boat, motioning for us to the same and sneak in for a closer look. Based on my experience watching lions in Africa, I didn't stray TOO far from the boat! :)
Smaller adrenaline rushes included friendly tarantulas:
It was also great to be on the rivers of the amazon to see amazing sunsets and sunrises...
Or just chillin' enjoying the breaze (keeping both the heat and the BUGS at manageable levels!)
After the amazon, with a few days to spare before heading back into the mountains, we headed over to the floating islands on the Peru side of Lake Titikaka. Although I wasn't all that impressed with the floating islands since it seemed to be more a tourist attraction rather people living their ordinary lives, I was really glad I went to the other islands near by. We stayed with a local family over night, went dancing, tried out the tradition clothes, etc.
From there, we trouped back to Cusco and headed out on the famous 4-day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. Having been on a lot of high altitude trekking, I didn't find the trek too difficult... because of the high altitude passes or the monstruous steps!...
It was incredible to think of all the people that have travelled over that same pass over the centuries, not to mention the work that went into it. There were larger boulders with steps cut out...
... even tunnels!
On the morning of the 4th day, we lucked out and had a beautiful clear day. We were fortunately to see the sunrise over Machu Picchu from the sungate...
... then to hike down closer to explore the ruins up close....
... before heading to the top of a mountain on the opposite side of Machu Picchu to get a view down on it from the other side....
That same night after completing the Inca Trail and exploring Machu Picchu, we were off on an overnight bus back to Bolivia. It felt SO GOOD to be back in Bolivia!!! Peru was good, but I definitely have a connection in Bolivia!
We stopped off on Isla del Sol, an island on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca. This was the view from my bed!...
The next morning, I was up in time to see the sun rise over the Bolivian Andes... of which one mountain I would then test myself on during a ascent attempt a couple days later...
... I had been wanting to try another high altitude mountain attempt and the mountain "Huayna Potosi", sitting at 6088m in elevation (just shy of 20,000ft at 19,975ft) had been an idea in the back of my head since arriving in Bolivia last October.
Huayna Potosi:

Here I am, suited up on day 1....
... ready to head out to a nearby glacier to try out some of my ice climbing techniques. Going up....
...And coming down...
After getting to our base camp, I had some soup and tucked in for a couple hour nap....
At midnight, I was up, getting suited up in my ice boots, crampons, harness, etc. 7 hours later through the snow and up a few ice walls, the last one of which was over 200m long right to the summit. I MADE IT!!!! :)
The views were incredible. Both at the summit watching the sun rise over the clouds below....
... and also on the way down...
And with that, (and of course one more day of going to the markets), I ate my final favorite Bolivian food and got on a plane for home.
Now... you might have noticed that in the entire time I was away, I never made it to anywhere that would be concidered by most as required in a vacation: a "relaxing day on the beach". Not to worry... with an 8 hour layover in Miami on the way home, I did just that and headed to the beach. Okay... I wouldn't say that I didn't try to have a little fun there by body surfin' the awesome rollers coming on shore!!!....
Since being home, I have since....
- been out to a conference in Calgary with the NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) that I went down to Bolivia through
- celebrated turning another year older in while there
- met up with Nic and headed on a 2-week roadtrip through Revelstoke, Calgary, Edmonton, Jasper, Prince George, Hudson's Hope, Spirit River, etc.... Seeing friends, doing some hiking, lounging / relaxing / catching up in Hudson's Hope, and then celebrating my grandma's 90th bday.
- Started my new job!!!!!!
- Been trying to see everyone!
So, more posts will be coming. I'll try to get a few more pics up there... And, I'm going to put together a slide show, so come on over if you want to see it! :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home