On the "Gaijin" trail
We seem to have met up with the other international tourists. Up until this point, we were blisfully in the midst of national tourists and hords of school groups with kids in their cute little matching hats.
Out of the Alps and back on the bullet train route heading south, the ease of travel is just too much to pass up for us all!
Kyoto was fabulous, though I have to say the city warmed up to me over time. I think I was too overwhelmed at first with all the other camera whilding foreigners to feel like I was seeing something different. That all changed as Nic and I were wandering around the Gion district on her birthday and spied a geisha down one of the narrow alley ways. We ended up taking 4 hours to do a 1 hour suggested walking path, with the side excursions and people watching we did.
Our first geisha sighting was the first of many - they seemed to be out in full force. It was topped off by getting seats to a geisha dance performance later that afternoon.
We spent another few days exploring by foot, and after trying an evening cruising the alleys by bike, I was able to convince Nic to put foot to pedal and join me with the locals riding their bikes on the sidewalks of Kyoto. Thankfully, we didn't have to master the ability to hold an umberella or talk on a cell while riding like the locals. We were able to cover so much ground and see so many more out of the way places through Kyoto on bikes... it was fantastic (and, Nic breaking her 15+ year hiatus from being astride a bike, not of the stationary variety, had more squeals of excitment than giggles of nervousness!)!
The plans for Osaka and Kobe changed en route (which is what I love about traveling by the seat of my pants!)... Osaka was a maze of concrete, and other than a fascinating few hours at night wandering the Dotombori district (men with hair like Tina Turner, women dressed like barbie dolls, all of it over the top and backlit with neon lights that could rival Vegas) we had no interest in staying. Kobe... much of the same.
Instead, we took to the hills again, and headed to Koyasan, a hilltop temple infested Buddist haven, away from the hussle and bustle of city life. The highlight here for us was the 2km long paths through an amazing cemetary. Granted... this might sound a little weird - enjoying a cemetary! But, the tomb stones and torii and carved buddhas were fascinating. Oh, and did I mentioned we were walking through here at night, with light from hundreds of concrete pillar lanterns lighting the way? I didn't find it creepy until there were unidentifiable squeeks coming from the tree tops! *Insert stern lecture here from Nic to calm down!*
She didn't have any luck in calming me down for the trip back out. I LOVED the cable car, meandering down the hillside, with it's amazing views and the twisty turney train that cruised through tunnel after tunnel snaking it's way out of the mountains. It's been a while since I've realized how much I love trains!
Next Gaijin trail stop... the castle in Himeji. Very cool! I'll have to get some pictures up on my blog. OH YA! Here's the link to the photos I've already posted... http://www.flickr.com/photos/69647219@N00/sets/72157605099479696/ It's also on a link over on the right side of my blog.
Anyway, we're now in Hiroshima, having spent a rainy day wandering through museams, tribute halls, and watching taped testaments of atomic bomb survivors. It's definitely been a day for reflection...
We're off to Fukuoka next and will hopefully have a chance to plug in my camera and get a few more photos uploaded!
Out of the Alps and back on the bullet train route heading south, the ease of travel is just too much to pass up for us all!
Kyoto was fabulous, though I have to say the city warmed up to me over time. I think I was too overwhelmed at first with all the other camera whilding foreigners to feel like I was seeing something different. That all changed as Nic and I were wandering around the Gion district on her birthday and spied a geisha down one of the narrow alley ways. We ended up taking 4 hours to do a 1 hour suggested walking path, with the side excursions and people watching we did.
Our first geisha sighting was the first of many - they seemed to be out in full force. It was topped off by getting seats to a geisha dance performance later that afternoon.
We spent another few days exploring by foot, and after trying an evening cruising the alleys by bike, I was able to convince Nic to put foot to pedal and join me with the locals riding their bikes on the sidewalks of Kyoto. Thankfully, we didn't have to master the ability to hold an umberella or talk on a cell while riding like the locals. We were able to cover so much ground and see so many more out of the way places through Kyoto on bikes... it was fantastic (and, Nic breaking her 15+ year hiatus from being astride a bike, not of the stationary variety, had more squeals of excitment than giggles of nervousness!)!
The plans for Osaka and Kobe changed en route (which is what I love about traveling by the seat of my pants!)... Osaka was a maze of concrete, and other than a fascinating few hours at night wandering the Dotombori district (men with hair like Tina Turner, women dressed like barbie dolls, all of it over the top and backlit with neon lights that could rival Vegas) we had no interest in staying. Kobe... much of the same.
Instead, we took to the hills again, and headed to Koyasan, a hilltop temple infested Buddist haven, away from the hussle and bustle of city life. The highlight here for us was the 2km long paths through an amazing cemetary. Granted... this might sound a little weird - enjoying a cemetary! But, the tomb stones and torii and carved buddhas were fascinating. Oh, and did I mentioned we were walking through here at night, with light from hundreds of concrete pillar lanterns lighting the way? I didn't find it creepy until there were unidentifiable squeeks coming from the tree tops! *Insert stern lecture here from Nic to calm down!*
She didn't have any luck in calming me down for the trip back out. I LOVED the cable car, meandering down the hillside, with it's amazing views and the twisty turney train that cruised through tunnel after tunnel snaking it's way out of the mountains. It's been a while since I've realized how much I love trains!
Next Gaijin trail stop... the castle in Himeji. Very cool! I'll have to get some pictures up on my blog. OH YA! Here's the link to the photos I've already posted... http://www.flickr.com/photos/69647219@N00/sets/72157605099479696/ It's also on a link over on the right side of my blog.
Anyway, we're now in Hiroshima, having spent a rainy day wandering through museams, tribute halls, and watching taped testaments of atomic bomb survivors. It's definitely been a day for reflection...
We're off to Fukuoka next and will hopefully have a chance to plug in my camera and get a few more photos uploaded!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home